Interview with Jubly-Umph
Saturday, October 27, 2012
DISCLAIMER: Because the artist wanted to remain anonymous, I was asked to not mention his/her name. Also a photo is not necessary so use your imagination!
ME ♥ Hi! It is great to be interviewing you! I would love to know more about you and the brand. So first things first: what is Jubly-Umph all about?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I am an artist based out of Melbourne, Australia who works in paper, watercolors ink and wood. I love tattoos (although I have none), vintage ephemera and pin up girls and most of my art is based on these things. My partner and I then create jewelry, handbags, cards and prints out of my artwork under the brand Jubly-Umph Originals.
ME ♥ What is its goals?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Our goals are to bring art to the masses and be able to support ourselves as artists full time.
ME ♥ Who or what inspired you to start this business?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I started this business in 2009 when I first discovered a love of tattoo art but realized that I couldn't commit to a tattoo. So the conclusion was to make tattoo style jewelry that could be changed everyday.
ME ♥ As a shop owner and an artist, what is your daily routine?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I get up around 8 am and put on a pot of coffee. I love coffee. It is probably the most important thing in the morning for me. I then usually check emails and go through a list of things that needs to be done for the day. Each day is completely different, which I love, and can include anything from packaging orders, to painting or organizing new products.
ME ♥ Tell us the work environment you have.
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ My studio is still a work in progress. It has two desks, many knickknacks, fresh flowers from the garden and a picture wall featuring some of my favorite paintings by myself and other artists.
ME ♥ Out of curiosity, what is the story behind the name of your shop?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Jubly-Umph has many meanings and people are constantly coming along and telling me a new one. But the story is that the name is completely made up and nonsense, just like the artworks themselves.
ME ♥ What makes your products unique? Where do you get your inspiration for the designs? Does the current trends influence your designs too? How do you keep it interesting?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ The products are unique because they are all made in small runs and feature artwork that you can’t get anywhere else. I am a small indie artist and this is a small indie company and for our customers wearing the jewelry can feel like you are in a secret club.
I am influenced by current trends but I always try and put a special Jubly spin on it. For example, after we had been asked about a hundred times for owl themed things I finally painted and owl. But it is a one eyed owl. He was attacked by a small bird and lost his eye…
ME ♥ Do you have a new line that we can look forward to?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ We have just released a new line of solid stainless steel and resin jewelry. This features 5 new Jubly designs such as an anchors, lucky horseshoes and mermaids.
We are also about to release a range of handbags and wallets in the next few weeks.
ME ♥ Do you have an actual shop that we can visit? If yes, where is it located? If not, do you plan on having one?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I don’t have a physical shop just an online one (www.jubly-umph.com). I used to co-run a shop in Melbourne a few years ago but found it was too difficult trying to run two businesses as well as paint and I really just wanted to concentrate on one. I don’t think I would run a shop again.
ME ♥ Let's move on to a more personal note! Do you have a personal blog? If yes, what is it about?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I have a blog here: http://jublyumph.blogspot.com.au which I write little articles on craft projects, fashion layouts and outings/events. I like the craft projects the most and have a lot of fun making and then blogging about them. My next project is making a set of library style drawers from an ikea box.
ME ♥ How do you define your personal style?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Vintage and indie. I have a lot of friends who are small independent fashion designers and I wear a lot of their clothes. I like wearing things that no one else has.
ME ♥ Style staples that you consider your must-haves?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Lush cherry cardigan (can be found here: http://lushcherry.bigcartel.com), Cowboy boots, and pencil skirts
ME ♥ Current trends that you are obsessed about?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Braids. I have a pinterest board dedicated to it and have been trying out new styles every day.
ME ♥ 5 personal top picks from your shop and how will you wear or style it?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ This is my all time favorite and I wear it almost every day.
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Bandit Queen necklace. So I created what I feel like can be a modern take on a bandit's outfit. The girl wearing this would definitely be a badass.
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ This is probably the most tattoo like. Great worn with a low cut top.
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Swallow & Lock necklace. So I incorporated the necklace's colors on the outfit. I also made sure that the necklace will stand out on the outfit. It has a summery feel and the colors are vibrant making the wearer a head-turner.
Day of the Dead Kitties
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ These are great for everyday wear and go with many outfits.
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Day of the Dead Kitty Cat studs. I searched for a cat-print sweater and stick with the very laid-back look for fall. Black and white will also add mystery to its wearer like how enigmatic the earrings' design is.
Rosewood
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Perfect to jazz up a cardigan
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Rose Cardigan clips. When I saw this dress, I knew that the clips could work with it. I imagine a very sophisticated woman wearing this. Because I am currently reading the Pretty Little Liars series, I can see Spencer Hastings with this outfit. It shows a smart, classy woman which Spencer's character exudes.
Ruby BirdheadME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Rose Cardigan clips. When I saw this dress, I knew that the clips could work with it. I imagine a very sophisticated woman wearing this. Because I am currently reading the Pretty Little Liars series, I can see Spencer Hastings with this outfit. It shows a smart, classy woman which Spencer's character exudes.
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ [It] goes well with red and black
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Ruby Birdhead necklace. According to Jubly-Umph goes well with red and black so I incorporated the colors with this look which made the necklace standout.
ME ♥ Artists you look up to?
ME ♥ The key piece here is Jubly-Umph's Ruby Birdhead necklace. According to Jubly-Umph goes well with red and black so I incorporated the colors with this look which made the necklace standout.
ME ♥ Artists you look up to?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I love modern artists like Mark Ryden, Angelique Houtkamp, Rose Hardy, Vali Myers as well as illustrators I grew up with such as Mervyn Peake, John Tenniel, Arthur Rackham, Chas Addams and Edward Gorey.
ME ♥ What's in your bag?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ Sunglasses, mascara, lipstick, pocket mirror, allan key, pens and notebook.
ME ♥ Any current reads? All-time favorites?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I always have a pile of books by my bed. I just reread my favorite novel, The Shipping News, and have the Hunger Games ready to start.
ME ♥ Some recent designs or drawings you can share to us.
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I have just finished 2 new paintings. The first is called La Luna and the second is The Plague Doctor.
![]() |
| (La Luna) |
![]() |
| (the Plague Doctor) |
ME ♥ Just for fun: Harry Potter or Twilight?
JUBLY-UMPH ♥ I have read both and loved Harry Potter and could reread that (and watch the movies) over and over. I was a bit disturbed by the Twilight series as I found the relationship between Bella and Edward to be very destructive and not a great role model for teenagers. (I couldn't even sit through all the movies)




















.jpg)




6 comments